Questions you should be prepared to answer:
- Tell me about yourself (touch on major highlights/accomplishments, no more than a couple of minutes)
- Why are you leaving your current position? (never speak negative about current or previous employers)
- What are your career goals?
- What would your manager say about you? What would your peers say about you?
- What are you looking for in your next job/employer?
- What are some accomplishments or goals you have surpassed that made you stand out?
- What type of style of manager do you work best with?
- How do you deal with: a) problem solving b) organizing time/priorities c) conflict or confrontation?
Questions you should ask:
- What are the expectations of the person coming into this position in the first six months? What are the long-run expectations of this position?
- What was the tenure of the last individual in this position?
- What is the organizational chart of this department and company?
- What characterizes people who are successful in this organization?
- If meeting with hiring manager ask “What attracted them to this organization?”
- How do I compare with other candidates you have interviewed for this position? What shortcomings, if any do you see?
- What is the company’s anticipated growth? How does it compare to their industry.